Iloilo City placed under state of calamity, P42M readied for 70K affected residents

PHOTO CAPTION: Following the onslaught of super-typhoon Odette in the region last week, leaving more than 72,000 city residents affected in its wake, the Sangguniang Panlungsod of Iloilo City unanimously passed a resolution declaring the entire city under a state of calamity and earmarking more than P42 million to be given out to affected residents as financial assistance./iNews (N. Glenn Aragon/Photo courtesy of Aksyon Radyo Iloilo)

ILOILO CITY–The city of Iloilo has been declared under a state of calamity following the devastation wrought by super-typhoon Odette Friday last week as more than 70,000 city residents were affected in what was the strongest weather disturbance to hit this southern metropolis this year.

The Sangguniang Panlungsod, in its weekly regular session this morning, unanimously approved the recommendation of the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (CDRRM) to place the entire city under a state of calamity.

Providing the basis for the said declaration In the Iloilo City Council resolution is the more than 15% of the total population affected by the storm, during which there was significant disruption in their lifelines, gravely affecting their food and water supply and electricity.

A total of 72,523 persons were impacted by Odette, easily breaching the percentage of affected residents necessary for a state of calamity to be declared.

Also among the other bases for the said declaration were the power outages, the problems with communication lines, and the cancellation of trips even after the typhoon had already exited the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR) over the weekend.

P42M FOR AFFECTED RESIDENTS

With the said declaration, a fund amounting to P42,241,067 will be made available to the city government as a budget to provide financial assistance to city residents affected by Typhoon Odette.

That should be welcome news for those affected by the typhoon since the City Social Welfare and Development Office (CSWDO) has a measly budget of only P450,000 earmarked for Assistance to Individuals in Crisis Situations (AICS) and almost all of it had already been expended for the city’s COVID-related programs.

According to the City Budget Office (CBO), that amount is definitely not enough so they had to reprogram some of the city’s funds initially set aside for other purposes and augment it with monies from other sources.

The city government plans to give P10,000 in financial assistance to those whose dwellings were totally damaged while P4,300 will be received by those whose houses were partially damaged. (N. Glenn Aragon/iNews)

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

You may like

Hot Videos
In the news
Load More