Treñas places entire Iloilo City on ‘hard lockdown’ from August 3-8

PHOTO CAPTION: This could well be a common sight in Iloilo City for the rest of the week as Mayor Jerry Treñas ordered a hard lockdown on the entire city to avert a similar COVID-19 surge in Cebu and Aklan from happening in this Southern metropolis. (N. Glenn Aragon/Photo courtesy of The Strait Times)

Non-essential establishments closed; inbound air, sea travel suspended

ILOILO CITY–Expect city Ilonggos to rush out of their homes and line up at grocery stores and similar establishments this afternoon to stack up on food items that will last them several days as Iloilo City mayor Jerry Treñas announced the entire metropolis will be on hard lockdown starting tomorrow, August 3, until Sunday, August 8.

With the city implementing hard lockdown measures, anticipate to see non-essential establishments closed for the next six days, a total liquor ban that would include both sale and consumption of alcoholic drinks, and the grounding of both inbound air and sea travel going to Iloilo City, including Authorized Persons Outside of Residence (APORs), Returning Overseas Filipinos (ROFs), and Locally Stranded Individuals (LSIs), among others.

According to Treñas, this six-day hard lockdown directive is all geared towards protecting all city residents and for the city to avoid falling into a coronavirus disease (COVID-19) surge in new cases as what is being presently experienced by the provinces of Cebu and Aklan.

In addition, the city last week had its first recorded case of the more infective and, many say, highly-lethal Delta variant with the detection of a 30-year old man from Mandurriao district said to be carrying the ‘killer variant’ and the city chief executive wants this particular variation to not spread all over the city.

Based on the latest figures from the Department of Health-Center for Health Development in Western Visayas, Iloilo City’s active cases are on a slow downswing with ‘only’ 1,352, down from the 1,527, 1,631, 1,674, and 1,654 in the last four weeks. The city is also now at just fourth place in the region with the most number of active cases behind Iloilo Province (2,994), Aklan (2,060), and Negros Occidental (1,487).

That cannot be said of Aklan, which is experiencing a strong surge in COVID-19 cases with new infections for the last two weeks breaching the thousand-case mark: 1,015 new cases from July 19 to 25 and 1,020 new cases from July 26 to August 1. And while recoveries were at an all-time high with 1,252 cured patients from July 19 to 25, it slowed down last week with just 773 recoveries despite recording more new cases from July 26 to August 1.

Fortunately, fatalities from COVID-19 in Aklan registered zero deaths for the past week after recording the highest single-week death toll of 16 fatalities from June 21 to 27. (N. Glenn Aragon/iNEWS)

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

You may like

Hot Videos
In the news
Load More