NegOcc Capitol eyes tax relief for Negros landowners

THE committee hearing of the Negros Occidental SP Committee on Finance on Tuesday, January 26, tackled the proposed tax amnesty package for real property owners./INews

BACOLOD CITY–Citing the coronavirus pandemic that has affected manifold people, including landowners, in the province, the provincial government of Negros Occidental is proposing tax relief for real property owners who failed to pay their tax obligations for 2020 and prior years, Atty. Rayfrando Diaz, provincial administrator, said Tuesday.

The proposal was discussed by Diaz during a committee hearing of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan Committee of Finance attended by 10 board members, including chair Rommel Delgado, and Vice Governor Jeffrey Ferrer.

It was learned that the real property tax collectibles of the provincial government have reached P2.8 billion, with Diaz admitting the pandemic had stalled the province’s tax collection efforts.

For the real property owners, the proposed tax relief would mean entering into a compromise agreement with the provincial government, in which they would pay 20% of their tax obligations forthwith and the remaining 80 percent in 24 months either on a monthly or quarterly basis, depending on the restructured plans.

During the two-year period, Diaz said, no interest will be added to their balance.

The tax reprieve package would also benefit owners of properties already auctioned by the provincial government, or whose redemption period had already expired.

“This gives them a chance to get back their properties, including their titles,” Diaz specified.

However, should the taxpayer be unable to fulfill their obligations within the stipulated period, the agreement shall be deemed invalid and legal remedies under the Local Government Code shall be applied to the advantage of the LGU.

“This is a win-win situation for both parties: a campaign for the government to collect taxes and a much-needed amnesty for taxpayers in this time of a pandemic. I hope the taxpayers welcome this development and will be happy about it,” Diaz concluded./(Eugene Y. Adiong/INews-Bacolod/Negros Bureau)

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

You may like

Hot Videos
In the news
Load More