NegOcc SP eyes ‘win-win’ solution in tax relief package

NEGROS Occidental Board Member Rommel Debulgado (inset) is optimistic the Sanggunian Panlalawigan’s proposed tax relief package will be beneficial to both taxpayers and the provincial government./INews

BACOLOD CITY– The Sanggunian Panlalawigan of Negros Occidental will work for a “win-win” solution for both the delinquent real property owners and the provincial government of Negros Occidental, which is trying to collect P2.8 billion in tax obligations for 2020 and prior years from the municipalities of Negros Occidental, but not including the component cities.

Board Member Rommel Debulgado, chair of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan Committee on Finance, said the proposed tax relief ordinance is one of the COVID-19 pandemic responses of the provincial government, “not for the health but for the economic benefits of real property owners.”

He said that the SP wants to be fair to both the taxpayers and the provincial government.

“The time now calls for leniency and compromise to taxpayers, who are now experiencing the effects of the pandemic, but the government also needs revenues, with which to extend invaluable services to Negrenses,” Debulgado pointed out.

Under the proposed tax relief ordinance, real property owners will be required to pay 20 percent of their tax obligations at once, with the remaining 80 percent to be paid within 24 months, either on a monthly or quarterly basis, depending on the restructured plans.

It was disclosed that the collected taxes will be shared by the town, which will have a 45 percent share, the province, and the barangay, which are entitled to receive 35 percent and 20 percent, respectively.

Governor Eugenio Jose Lacson, who has expressed support for the SP’s initiative, would like to see the tax relief ordinance take effect within the second quarter of this year.

“No doubt, this would be a big help especially to the municipalities,” the governor said./(Eugene Y. Adiong/INews-Bacolod/Negros Bureau)

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

You may like

Hot Videos
In the news
Load More