Three key ‘resource persons’ in Diergos’ murder dilly-dally in signing affidavits, delay case filing

PHOTO CAPTION: P/SMS Francisco Lindero Jr., spokesperson of the IPPO’s Special Investigation Team, said three key “resource persons” in the murder of businesswoman Claire Diergos are dilly-dallying in affixing their signatures in their respective affidavits, prompting the police and the victim’s family to delay filing the case with the Iloilo Provincial Prosecutor’s Office. Diergos was laid to rest on November 7 in her hometown in Buenavista, Guimaras./iNews (N. Glenn Aragon/Photos courtesy of Aksyon Radyo Iloilo)

ILOILO–Three resource persons whose testimonies are deemed material to the resolution of the brutal murder of Claire Diergos last October appear to be dragging their feet in affixing their signature to their respective affidavits, the reason the Special Investigation Team (SIT) decided to delay the filing of the case against those responsible for the killing until such time they are ready to formalize their statements.

According to P/Sr. Master Sgt. Francisco Lindero Jr., spokesperson of the Iloilo Police Provincial Office’s SIT (IPPO-SIT), the signatures of the three resource persons are needed so that their affidavits can be notarized and be admissible in court. He said the three witnesses all asked to be given more time to decide on their next move relative to the Diergos slay case.

The SIT spokesman said they understand the sentiments of the three and are willing to wait since their testimonies are necessary to connect the circumstantial evidence that the investigation team has gathered to further bolster the case against the suspects.

It’s possible, according to Lindero, that the resource persons suddenly had second thoughts after they were made to understand that their names could come out during the hearings when their affidavits are presented in court.

To note, there are already a total of 10 affidavits from the same number of resource persons in the SIT’s possession but that only seven have been signed so far.

The IPPO leadership, thru Lindero, however, assured the resource persons that they will do everything in their power to protect them as soon as they sign their affidavits.

STAND OF DIERGOS FAMILY

Meanwhile, the family of the victim is in full support of SIT’s decision to postpone the filing of the murder case against the suspects before the Iloilo Provincial Prosecutors’ Office pending more solid evidence that will ensure a guilty verdict.

This, the SIT bared following a meeting with the victim’s sibling and the family’s private lawyer who is helping check the documents relative to the investigation and case-building on Diergos’ murder.

It may be recalled that the SIT, thru their spokesperson SMS Lindero, has admitted that most of the evidence from testimonies of resource persons in their possession together with findings from material evidence culled by technical units like the Regional Anti-Cybercrime Unit (RACU) and the PNP Crime Laboratory is circumstantial in nature.

The private lawyer hired by the Diergos family also saw certain parts of the circumstantial evidence have “missing links,” saying it is important that they bring these things out in the open so they can fortify them with corroboration from evidence.

“Ang pagkabaton sang sabat halin sa Globe Telecom kahapon nangin kabahin man sang rason sang pamilya ni Claire Diergos agud nga suportahan ang SIT nga dugangan pa sini ang natipon nga mga ebidensya [The answer we received from Globe Telecom yesterday was part of the reason of the family of Claire Diergos to further support SIT in wanting to add more evidence],” Lindero averred.

The Diergos family believes that the cellphone numbers in Claire’s phone book as well as the call logs can help shed additional light on the participation of these people in the planning and commission of Claire’s slay. (N. Glenn Aragon/iNews)

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

You may like

Hot Videos
In the news
Load More